Replacement doors in your home can significantly enhance both security and energy efficiency, as well as add a new and exciting look to your home.
Home improvements that involve replacing worn and damaged existing doors or adding new features to strengthen security and optimize energy use. Let’s delve into the specifics:
Security Enhancements through Replacement Doors
- Stronger Materials: Replacing old doors with ones made of stronger materials like steel or solid wood can drastically improve security. These materials are more resistant to forced entry than hollow-core or weaker wooden doors.
- Improved Locks and Deadbolts: Upgrading to high-quality, tamper-resistant locks and deadbolts can deter break-ins. Smart locks, which offer keyless entry and remote control, add an additional layer of security.
- Reinforced Frames and Hinges: Strengthening the door frame and hinges can prevent doors from being kicked in. This can involve using longer screws for hinge plates and installing strike plates for locks.
- Additional Security Hardware: Installing security bars, peepholes, and door chains can provide extra layers of protection.
- Modern Security Systems: Integration of doors with home security systems, including alarms and cameras, increases overall home security.
Energy Efficiency Improvements through Door Replacement
- Weather Stripping and Sealing: Adding or replacing weather stripping around doors prevents air leaks, which can significantly reduce heating and cooling costs.
- Energy-Efficient Doors: Some modern doors are specifically designed for energy efficiency, using materials and construction methods that provide better insulation.
- Thermal Glass: If the door has glass elements, upgrading to double or triple-pane thermal glass helps in maintaining internal temperature.
- Proper Installation and Alignment: Ensuring the door is properly installed and aligned eliminates gaps and reduces air infiltration.
- Door Sweeps and Thresholds: Adding or replacing door sweeps and thresholds can block drafts and improve the overall seal of the door.
Considerations for Replacement Doors
- Assessment of Current Doors: Before door replacement, it’s important to assess the current state of your doors to determine what improvements are necessary.
- Professional Installation: Professional installation ensures that the door is correctly fitted, sealed, and aligned, which is crucial for both security and energy efficiency.
- Cost vs. Benefit Analysis: Evaluate the cost of retrofitting against the potential benefits in security enhancement and energy savings.
- Compliance with Local Building Codes: Ensure that any changes comply with local building regulations and standards.
- Upgrading the look and style of your home: While it may be too expensive to buy a new home with the looks that you want – why not upgrade your current home’s looks and style?
Replacement Doors For Security & Efficiency
Replacing old, worn-out and damaged doors is a valuable investment for improving a home’s security and energy efficiency.
By upgrading materials, locks, and other hardware, you can significantly enhance security. Similarly, by focusing on sealing, insulation, and proper installation, you can reduce energy loss and lower utility bills. It’s a proactive approach that combines safety, comfort, and cost-effectiveness in a home environment.
Don’t forget the windows! Replacing your old and energy-inefficient windows can add value and comfort to your home!
Colorado Window And Door – Total Exterior Renovation In Colorado Springs
We not only offer top quality products, but our workmanship and attention to detail ensures that you will receive exactly what you expect and deserve. Our Design Consultants go over every detail with you so you know exactly how your project will turn out.
Let us help you create a new, beautiful, and virtually maintenance free exterior for your Colorado Springs home.
|Cement board core (e.g. PermaBase™ or other ASTM C1325 Type A Exterior approved cement boards)
|Reinforces impact and puncture resistance, provides moisture resistance, increases dimensional stability
|Rapid, mechanical attachment
|Speeds application; reduces labor cost; close-in structure quickly
|Allows evacuation of incidental moisture
|Unlimited colors, textures and architectural details
|Support design freedom: create details that would impossible or cost prohibitive with other claddings
|100% Acrylic finish coats
|Resist fading and abrasion; options available for added dirt/mildew resistance
|100% Acrylic, reinforced base coats
|Produce a weather-resistant barrier, provide crack resistance